How important to our health is having an organic latex mattress?
After all, isn’t a mattress just a mattress? In this case, it’s definitely not. Sleeping on an organic latex mattress is much better for our health.
A natural latex mattress is made from the sap of the rubber tree which is processed. A mattress made from organic latex does not contain any chemicals, synthetics, pesticides, herbicides or other man-made products. The best organic latex mattress comes with a certification from the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS)
Organic latex mattress vs Natural latex
Organic latex mattresses are actually the real deal for maximum eco-friendliness and the best green option. Every organic latex mattress is 100% natural, but not every natural latex mattress is organic.
Organic latex mattresses have a guaranteed seal of environmental approval so you can be sure that your mattress is free of man-made products and chemicals. Synthetic mattresses are also available on the market, which is manipulated with synthetic latex to create a wider variety of firmness.
Natural latex comes from the milky sap harvested from the rubber tree. Rubber tappers strip a thin layer of bark off the tree to release the latex and collect it from cups. This latex is then processed to become a wide variety of products, from rubber tyres to latex mattresses.
Why should I buy an organic latex mattress?
Buying organic latex mattresses helps local plantations keep an eye on sustainability and eco-friendliness. The organic label also guarantees that your mattress has no toxic chemicals or pesticide residue, inside or outside the mattress. As the organic process prevents the use of chemicals in the plantation, the natural latex is pure, with nothing added.
Furthermore, organic means there are no toxic chemicals used in the production process in the factory – you can be sure that the mattress isn’t contaminated in any way. This makes it a particularly great choice for parents who want to feel safe and comfortable about where their kids are sleeping.
Three benefits of an organic latex mattress.
We spend about a third of our lifetime asleep. Rest is important for maintaining a healthy, active lifestyle, whether you are working out at the gym, or working hard in the office. Good, consistent sleep can also help:
- Reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
- Improve concentration, productivity, and overall mental health.
- Reduce the body’s reliance on calories that lead to weight gain.
Your mattress should offer support and comfort at all times, whether you are sleeping, reading, or having breakfast in bed.
- Temperature control: Other mattresses can trap body heat, making for hot, uncomfortable sleep. Latex mattresses are designed to disperse heat.
- No odors: Synthetic mattresses have a reputation for having a distinct rubbery smell. Natural latex mattresses have no odor and do not impart any smell onto bedding or sleepers.
Organic latex mattresses offer a far safer sleep.
- Flame resistance: Some manufacturers use materials that require harmful additives to make them fire safe, non-toxic latex is naturally resistant to fire.
- No VOCs: Common in fresh paint, volatile organic compounds are chemicals that affect air quality around the home and can lead to health issues. Natural latex has no VOCs, meaning your home will be healthier.
When you decide to buy an organic latex mattress, it is a good idea to make sure it is from a recognized brand or supplier. It should be certified to confirm that the latex in your mattress was not from a plantation grown on deforested rainforest.
Another thing to look out for is the Oeko-Tex certification. Oeko-Tex Class 1 is the highest rank and certifies that the organic latex mattress is 100% safe to sleep on, even for sensitive infants.
The three main things to look out for when you buy an organic latex mattress is it to be 100% organic natural latex, proper certifications including Oko-Tex standard or GOLS and comfort and fit. Try it out before you buy.
To talk to the experts about organic latex mattresses contact Organic Roots Mattresses today.